The first physical building of St Chad’s in Huapai was dedicated on 24th September 1925. Sadly is was destroyed in a fire in 1990. Our congregation moved temporarily to the (then) parish church at Waimauku.
Our current home was completed in 2000 with our vision of the church being that it should be so much more than just a building for Sunday service. We are delighted to be able to provide facilities for local choirs, Guiding groups, the Kumeu Friendship Club and various other community activities. We also have our own Craft Group, Women’s Fellowship and a Selwyn Centre for seniors in the local community. For full details see the Activities page.
Local Shared Ministry
In 2008 the parishioners took the decision to become a Local Shared Ministry Church. The ministries and missions of the church traditionally carried out by a vicar are now shared by members of the congregation led by a Ministry Support Team. The team is responsible for the worship, fellowship and Christian outreach of St. Chad’s.
We currently have two priests who were chosen by the congregation. They were trained and then ordained by the Bishops of Auckland to celebrate the Eucharist and to officiate at baptisms, weddings and funerals within the area. An Anglican priest (called an Enabler) trains and guides the team and provides a conduit to the Auckland Diocese. We are fortunate to have several retired clergy within the church who are able to support our sacramental ministers.
A Church Council, elected annually by the congregation, meets monthly and is responsible for overseeing policy, property capital works, maintenance and financial management.
Effectively the ministry of our church lies in the hands of all the church members and we are now enjoying a wonderful variety of worship and fellowship.